BUT….. a simple three letter word that can do harm to ourselves and relationships and has more power to get us stuck than any other word.
- It can negate an apology – I’m sorry, BUT you started it
- It can justify a sin or wrong action – I really shouldn’t….BUT no one will find out
- It can keep us from trying something new – BUT what if I fail
- It can be an excuse to lie – I’d love to go, BUT I have to wash my dog (hair, car, etc)
- It can cause us to judge – I know I shouldn’t say this, BUT she really needs to pray harder
- It can keep us hostage to worry – BUT, what if…..
Lately, I’ve been very focused on that last one – keeping us hostage to worry. Its a scary world out there, and constantly asking ourselves, but what if, in a negative way, can keep us stuck and hold us back from being all that we can be and doing all that God has in store for us.
I’ve been thinking, what would happen if we turned that around and used those three words to encourage us and lift us up and out of our rut? What if, instead of a block wall, they were a gateway to new adventures? What would happen?
But, what if…..
- I didn’t listen to the naysayers?
- I listened to my heart?
- I just tried that new thing?
- I said yes to that opportunity?
- I was kinder to that person?
- I didn’t care as much what others thought?
But, what if I could really make a difference if I wasn’t afraid?
Do any of these phrases get you feeling braver? More empowered to try something you’ve been putting off? Than I say, go for it! Be brave! Work hard at something that you love and feel passionate about! Life is a very short journey. Let’s not waste it by keeping ourselves hostage to the negative version of “but’. Think of the endless possibilities that could happen simply by changing your but, what if to yes, I’ll try! Go conquer that mountain! Grab the day with both hands and start!